Lose Weight Easily
Weight loss and obesity……
What makes you fat?
Master the Leptin Hormone and Lose Weight Easily
Weight loss is a big business and when the leptin hormone (LH) was discovered in 1994 many in the industry thought it would be the next revolution in losing body fat easily.
If you want to know a little more about what this substance is & what does it do inside your body (a hint – it has a lot to do with difference between easy and non-efficient fat burning), then read this article to the end.
What Is This Hormone?
It is a substance that signals that we have sufficient energy reserves for engaging in any activities. It is a protein-based substance that is produced by fat cells and then gets circulated in the blood and carried to the brain.
What is more, every person has a ‘level’ that is set genetically. When LH is above that threshold, your organism can function normally and go about normal growth processes like puberty. However, when it starts to go below, you start to crave food.
How Does It Work?
When people diet their main goal is to reduce fat cells. However, when there is less lipids in your body then there is less of this hormone in your blood stream and you can easily (and often) drop below your required threshold.
When this happens, it tells your brain that you are starving and you need to increase your energy reserves so your vagus nerve get stimulated and that makes you really hungry.
Your body continues increasing your appetite until you regain back your ideal leptin threshold. This is the point when it stops stimulating your appetite & cravings and you start to feel satiated.
LH Resistance & Obesity
Your leptin hormone works as long as your bodily systems understand the signal being sent when your levels hit your threshold.
In obese people, however, their brains do not get this signal and continue to crave for more food even though their LH is above its optimum. This is dangerous as a vicious cycle begins then…
Their bodies think they are starving and need more energy reserves, therefore their brain increases their appetite and releases greater amount of endorphin as a reward for eating fatty and sugary stuff.
This causes obese people to continue overeating. His or her body stores the excess food as fat and so more of LH is produced. Usually, the more of it you have the less you need to eat.
Sadly, the process never stops and the person gets more and more obese due to the fact that their bodies are resistant to it.
When it was first discovered many thought that giving leptin to obese men & women would help to curb their enormous appetite. But in many cases it actually had no effect at all because they were simply resistant to it. There is only a very small portion of the population who do not produce it at all and when given this substance artificially they lose weight as a result.
Factors that Contribute to Leptin Resistance
As with all hormone issues, Leptin resistance is a complex issue with no singular cause, but there are many factors that can negatively impact Leptin levels including:
- Fructose consumption (especially in forms like High Fructose Corn Syrup)
- High stress levels
- Consumption of a lot of simple carbs
- Lack of sleep
- High insulin levels (vicious cycle here)
- Exercising too much, especially if your hormones are already damaged
- Grain and lectin consumption
Using Food To Increase Your Leptin Hormone Levels
The phenomenon mentioned above is similar to insulin resistance and there are diet changes that you can make to improve both levels. Surprisingly, the immunity to insulin also makes us LH resistant. Therefore, doctors usually recommend reducing intake of both:
- Sugar – Sugar makes our insulin level go up which increases resistance to both of these substances.
- Triglyceride – Triglycerides have been proven to block leptin from reaching the brain and thus stopping the signal that you are full.
By reducing our intake of sugar and foods that contain triglycerides we can allow our bodies to receive the full & steady signal from the leptin that is being produced.
What is more, a stimulating diet has been developed that involves following 5 guidelines. These are:
- Stop eating after dinner! – Levels of this hormone are highest and do their repairs in the evening. If you eat in the evening you disrupt its work and the overall balance in your body.
- Always eat three meals each day 5-6 hours apart!– Your organism is not designed for constant grazing; a constant intake of food disrupts it from removing triglycerides which block Leptin from getting to the brain. Snacking causes hormonal switches which disrupts necessary processes.
- Avoid eating large meals! – A good tips is to stop just before you are full, do not succumb to the large meal sizes & have only a portion of the dish or split an entrée.
- Make sure your breakfast contains protein! – High protein meals increase your metabolism unlike the typical carbohydrate diets popular with breakfast nowadays.
- Reduce carbohydrates! – Finally, avoid (minimize) carbohydrates, they are easy energy and your metabolism will burn rather carbs and not your fat reserves.
Available LH Supplements
There are numerous supplements available. These are meant to help:
- Balance Your Body
- Make You Feel Full
- Reduce Your Resistance
- Decrease Inflammation
Keep In Mind! It is not possible to ingest leptin because it is a protein. When eats protein like steak or pork it is broken down in your stomach as fuel. As a result you cannot take this hormone to directly increase its levels in your system as you would simply digest it. The main idea behind these is to trick your body to produce more of it on itself.